Sunday, July 09, 2006

A "Small" Present from Maegan

On my birthday on Friday, I took one firm step in my journey being dad. I changed Maegan's diaper for the first time.

Not quite Daddy501 yet but I have found that diaper change is both an art and a science.

On Friday while waiting for cell group friends to come, Maegan started on one of the "clean me I've peed!" cry. She's fussy about her diapers and the moment they are wet, she wants to be changed.

The problem was, she was in my arms when she was crying. Daphne was showering and Nina my helper was in the toilet. And I was ... stuck. I had a choice to make. To wait for either Nina or Daphne to come out, or I could do it solo.

Seeing Maegan's upset face, I decided that I was going to embark on my first foray into the world of diaper change.

Finding out there there were two types of diapers wasn't a good start for me. One was unfamiliar and small while the other looks like the same one that she's wearing. The latter has to be right. Found the pail of water and cotton that I was to use to clean her and I laid everything within reach.

With all the aparatus ready, I started. Unbuttoning her jumper, I undid her pampers, cleaned her with the wet cotton. "Always downwards" was what I recalled from my antenatal class. It's almost an art form knowing how to hold both her legs in one hand while cleaning with the other hand.

Once she is nice and clean, I took the new familiar looking pampers and placed her on it. After some moments of wondering how to undo the sticky tape portion, I managed and triumphed in my first diaper change moment for my princess stopped her wail.

Maegan's happy now. And so was I.

On my birthday, I changed her diaper successfully. Having said that, I realised when I read the fine print of the Being Dad course materials, diaper change occurs not only in Daddy501 but also in Daddy201.

The difference? Pee and Poo. And on Friday, Maegan's birthday present to daddy was ...

A small one.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers