Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Happy Birthday Mummy!

Today, Maegan turns two months old and tomorrow, Daphne turns 29.

Yes, my lovely wife whom I am well pleased turns 29 tomorrow. She has finally caught up with me. She's been chasing me since day one you see. :o)

I've got everything planned for tomorrow. I've asked Janice to help me book the restaurant that she likes called Bukunero but couldn't even get thru and we turned to our next alternative which was Wild Rockets which I knew she liked. Wanted to keep it a surprise but it seems that after 3 years of marriage and a baby later, you sort of want her to have what she likes and not simply to surprise her with something she may not like (which sometimes happens).

So I found two of her favourite restaurants, booked us for tomorrow's dinner and made the choice available to her. Wild Rockets or Restorante Valentino. Both of which she mentioned so many times but we never had the chance to try. Still waiting for her choice. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Funny thing about celebrating birthdays after being parents is that you change the way you celebrate for each other.

What do I mean? Well, I'll be saying to her "Happy Birthday Mummy" instead of my usual "Baby". It's the same for me when Daphne took me out for dinner and wished my "Happy Birthday Daddy." The fact is, we actually enjoy calling each other that.

It has become a term of endearment of sorts. Interesting isn't it?

The other thing is the amount of planning needed to spring a surprise.

It used to be just two of us but now, we have a helper and a baby that needs milk every 3 hours. Dinner needs to be well timed for in between feeds the plan is that once she gets her 6pm feed, we farm Maegan out to her grandparents and I'll whisk my darling wife to the restaurant of her choice, spend 30mins choosing from the menu, 3omin to gobble down the food, 30min to finally get the attention of the waiter to serve dessert, get the check, rush back to grandma's to pick Maegan up to whisk her home for her 9pm feed. Phew... the day hasn't even started!

I guess what my friends say is true. Our lives do change a great deal when our baby arrives. Ours have changed quite a bit. But somethings don't change.

Celebrating Daphne's birthday is still a big thing for me. And now that she is the mummy of my daughter, my love for her seems to grow even more.

Even if her breast is now exclusively reserved for my daughter and that her attention now is split between me and Maegan, I love my wife because she's the best wife I ever had. She's my favourite wife. She is .... oops... she's my only wife :o)

Honestly, I count myself a very blessed man. I have a wife whom I love, who I can count on when I'm down. Who lets me play XBox when I'm stressed. Who massages me when I'm tired, pick up my rubbish I leave behind, reminds me not to forget my mobile when I leave home, gets breakfast done for me when I wake up, calls me in the office just to see how I'm doing and more importantly, love me despite all the noise I make when I sleep.

Many friends never fails to remind me how blessed I am. How true.

I'm a blessed man to have Daphne as my wife. And this blog being my journey as dad, I think it's appropriate for me to say on record how much I appreciate my wife and how much I love her. For my journey being dad wouldn't be complete without Daphne being mum.

So baby, if you are reading this, I love you heaps! :o)

Happy Birthday Mummy! From Maegan and Me.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers