Sunday, July 02, 2006

Do babies dream?

One of the things about being a new dad is that everything seems interesting to you. Every little expression, every little sound, every little movement all makes an interesting topic for discussion.

My latest one is this: Do babies dream?

Why this question? Well, Maegan smiles to herself when she sleeps.

It's true! She would be fast asleep in my arms and when I look at her, she has this half smile that she does. It happens so fast that you miss it most of the time and I get thrilled each time I see that. Is she having sweet dreams?

Sometimes, when she's sleeping, she would shudder and her arms in the air and cries a little before calming down and back the quiet sleep she's in. It sounds and look as if she's having a nightmare but I can't be sure.

We only have dreams because of events that we go through during the day or week. We remember it and recall it during our dreams. But babies at six weeks have very little to think about so do they really dream?

If they do, what do they dream about? Most of our dreams includes conversations but babies haven't learned words so how do they dream?

I'm curious. All my web search only surfaced studies and findings about baby dreaming during REM (rapid eye movement) phase much like we do as adults but no signs of anyone stating what baby really dream about.

I'm just curious if Maegan really do dream?

I'm pretty sure she does. And it's really probably about how her dad carries her to sleep at night or grandma playing with her. Sweet dreams or nightmares. Which is which?

I'll let you decide. :)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers