Saturday, July 08, 2006

Birthday Dad

I turned 29 yesterday.

For the first time, I celebrated my birthday as a dad. Two years ago, I celebrated my first birthday as a husband and now, I celebrate as a dad.

Daphne paid a somewhat surprise visit to my office yesterday with Maegan and our helper in tow. Somewhat a surprise because she spilled the beans the night before. :o) Hence I knew they were coming but I just don't know what she was up to. All I knew was lunch was on the menu.

So on my birthday, Maegan visited her dad's office for the first time. She slept and cried most of the time but I did manage to get the photo I wanted, her on my office chair. The office chair that I inheirited from my dad when he passed away some 12 years ago.

Amidst all the flurry of work, meetings, deadlines and to-do lists, we celebrated my birthday together. Everyone in the office sang the birthday song and when candles are blown, cake is cut, photos are taken, lunch eaten, everyone went back to work. Including me.

My cousin asked me via sms "how's it like celebrating your birthday as a dad?". My answer? Nice.

It's a great feeling holding your baby and singing to yourself the birthday song. You feel that you have finally grown up of sort and that being dad and celebrating birthdays now seems to count forward towards being old(er).

Another thing about being dad and celebrating birthdays is the kind of presents you want to have. Funny it may seem but every birthday present wish you have now has a relative comparison to what you can get for Maegan of the equal value.

A new watch or a 3-wheeler stroller? A new wallet or 3 packs of pampers? A new car or Maegan's University education fund? A Mac Mini or a iPod Nano for Maegan? Hmm.. that's an easy one.

Either way, you seem to run into endless mind games and comparisons of prices, needs and wants. Either way, Maegan comes up tops.

So, for my birthday this year, I've know what I want for my birthday.

An XBox360. Surely Maegan would love that! :o)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers