Friday, July 14, 2006

Getting Unstuck

Maegan's getting more talkative today. She's been making all her chattering noise with her grandma who seems to be the person that she likes to "talk" to. She also found a new game with Daphne in which she would have milk dripping from her mouth and when Daphne wipes her face, she would smile. Seems to be spilling milk just so that her mummy would take the hanky to wipe her. Just like a game.

All that is missing from the above is ... me.

It's so fun hearing from Daphne all about Maegan when I came home from work. All the things she did, she smiled when she cleans her and how she was a great baby when Daphne brought her to her previous work place.

It's fun to hear all the stories but I wish I'm with her instead of being stuck in the office at 11pm. I wish I saw her smile and play instead of sorting out which Asian delegate is coming and which is not. I wish I could hear her chatter instead of hearing reports and updates about our upcoming event called One Degree Asia (www.onedegreeasia.org).

I so wish I was home. So much so that during our late dinner, I took out Maegan's photo to show everyone.

It's been a busy time recently at work. It happens when events are round the corner but somehow, with a baby at home, you sort of want to be home with your baby and her mummy.

You wake up in the morning and she has finished her morning feed and sometimes playing, but mostly sleeping. You finish your breakfast and if you are lucky, you get to hold her and play for a couple of minutes before it's time to leave for work. You work on an overdrive and you come home to a sleeping baby and all you see of her are the images of her during the day through the stories shared by your wife.

Not quite the dad I want to be. Inevitable at times but truly, not my preference. There are times that work demands more time out of me but when it comes in expense of my time with my family, I like to think I have a choice to choose family first.

So, I'm choosing to get unstuck from office tomorrow. I'm staying in a little longer in the morning. Hopefully, I can take Maegan out for a stroll in the park and play with her. See her smile and giggle when Daphne wipes that hanky on her face.

And maybe if I'm lucky enough, she might just "talk" to me. Now that would be nice. :o)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers