Friday, June 30, 2006

SuperDad

What makes a SuperDad?

Yes, I've just watched Superman Returns with Daphne leaving Maegan with my in-laws. Enjoyed the movie but left me thinking about this question. What makes a Dad super?

Like it or not, one of the key plot of all the Superman movies is that of the relationship between him and his father. We all know the famous line by Jor-El (Superman's Dad).

"You will travel far, my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you... even in the face of our deaths... the richness of our lives shall be yours. All that I have, all that I've learned, everything I feel... all this, and more... I bequeath you, my son. You will carry me inside you all the days of your life. You will make my strength your own, and see my life through your own eyes, as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father the son. This is all I can send you, Kal-El."

When I saw that replayed on the screen last night, I thought about Maegan. I used to watch Superman as a child and now, I watch it as a dad. And you think to yourself, what makes a SuperDad?

For one, I think Jor-El's quote forms a good summary.

1. SuperDads always believe in his child's potential.
2. SuperDads will always be by their children's side.
3. SuperDads teaches and imparts life to their children.
4. SuperDads becomes a source of inspiration for their children.
5. SuperDads are a pillar of strength for their children.
6. SuperDad's legacy will be that of the lives of his children.
7. SuperDads are a model for his children.

I wonder if I'll become a SuperDad? I guess I can only try. The least I can do is to try wearing my underwear outside.

Will you?
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers