Friday, June 02, 2006

Star Gazing

I love star gazing. Not great at identifying all the Big Dippers and Orion and so on but on some occasion, I can. The Southern Cross, the Three Sisters. All the beauty and splendour. You can spend hours lying down and gazing.

When I was in the bushes in the A.C.T. area in Australia with Outward Bound School, I learned to star gaze. I learned to rely on the stars for direction when we navigate in the night and learned to simply soak in the beauty of the blanket of stars that is above me. Not a single cloud in sight. Just me and the stars.

Today, I gaze at a different star. Not that I stop star gazing. Practically in our little country Singapore, star gazing is a non-started. When in Australia, we make wishes when we see a shooting star. In Singapore, we make a wish when we see a star. So I gaze a star of a different kind. One far more enjoyable.


My daughter.

I love looking at her. Not simply the fact that she is adorable and cute like her father.... oops.. I meant to say her mother. I love to just stare at her like I would the blanket of stars in the bushes. The beauty before me is stunning.

Daphne and I have so much laughs looking at her many expressions especially after she feeds. Daphne would prop her up to burp her slowly and there she would sit like a Russ Bear, being attended to by her mum and there I would lie on the bed just staring at her.

She would make funny faces. She would just smile to herself. She would yawn. She would stretch her face, stick her tongue out, frown and finally, she would let out a burp. I can lie there all day just staring at her.

It's funny. Just like my days in the bushes, the world stands still when I gaze at my daughter. Everything else at that point doesn't really matter. She was the object of attention. Most importantly, her every move made me smile. (Every move excepts when she farts)

I still love star gazing. But the joy of gazing at Maegan, nothing comes close.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers