Friday, February 22, 2008

Maegan Supports YOG

On the 15th day of the Chinese New Year where families traditionally have dinner at home together, Maegan and I went to witness what would be a historical event in Singapore's history. The announcement of Singapore as the winning city for the 2010 Youth Olympic Games.

With over 5000 crowd gathering and loud music blasting, Father and Daughter traveled from home to Padang and celebrated, cheered and waved our Singaporean flag celebrating the victory that Singapore has been waiting for.


It was a indeed a miracle. Well, two miracles really.

A tiny nation like Singapore defeating the likes of Moscow and Athens is itself a miracle. Who would have thought when we first announced our bid seven months ago, we would be celebrating as a nation seven months later. We all tried and we all hoped. We knew already made history by being the top 2 but winning is a much, much better feeling.

The second miracle was me. I survived my first full outing with Maegan on my own. Armed with a bag of diapers, biscuits and water, Maegan and I ventured into the sacred ground of Padang without anyone else. Yes, not even our helper Nina.

We took the train and walked the streets and all these while, Maegan smiled and waved to everyone. She was at her element best and the most well behaved I have seen.


We both had a great time. I asked her after if she had fun. She smiled and said "fun!". Carrying her balloon and waving her flag, she, together with her dad, had a ball of a time.

Many years from now when the YOG becomes a regular event like the main Olympics, she can say to her friends, her daddy brought her to the place where Singapore made history.


She can proudly say, like I would, "I was there."

:o)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers