Thursday, October 05, 2006

Coming home to my babies

She smiled. What else could I ask for?

Being gone for 7 days isn't something new but to be away in a country 5 timezones and 10 hours flight away from my daughter is somewhat new and hard for me.

For the past week, I've been in Auckland and Wellington, New Zealand for meetings. Managed to squeeze in a good friend's wedding in Rotorua in between but it was a busy trip. Somehow no matter how busy you are, you still think of home.

In all the meetings I was in, I find myself sharing about being a new dad and showing off Maegan's photo to everyone on my mobile. It started the moment I left, on the flight from Changi to Auckland and I showed her photo to the couple sitting beside me.

So you can imagine how much I miss home. Before I left, I even resorted into taking videos of her on my mobile so that I can "see" her when I'm in NZ.

After all the missing of home, I finally returned yesterday night. I was so excited. Spoke to Daphne before I boarded the plane and I knew Maegan was going to be there. The first time she's seeing her dad come home at the airport. How exciting is that?

Will she remember be? Has she grown bigger? Will she cry when she sees me? Will she be asleep when I arrive? Will she not let me carry her?

10 hours of plane journey with the occasional funny thought how she will be.

It's great having people you love receive you at the airport. Daphne and Maegan, my mum and Daphne's parents all arranged to have dinner at the airport. They seem to think that I've been away for 7 years but it was great having them there.

After clearing customs, I did my routine at the Duty Free Shop but found myself looking at the long queue and with my eagerness to see Maegan and Daphen growing by the minute, I decided not to buy my regular beer and wine and headed straight for baggage claim.

And there she was in her pram. Daphne pushed her closer to the glass and I went straight to her and waved vigourously. And she stared into my eyes, and stared and stared.

And then she smiled. What else could I ask for? :o)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers