Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Night Dad

Am I a night time dad?

Why the question? Well, just a while ago on our way back from my in-laws, Daphne said that I'm more active in playing with Maegan at night when I come home after a long day of work.

Since she said that, I've been thinking a little about it.

Perhaps it's true. I love coming home to Maegan. Work is becoming increasingly demanding on my time. I'm slowly learning that running a charity is not an easy task let alone having a family to fend for at the same time. But, precisely having Maegan to go home to makes work all the more meaningful.


It's great fun the moment I step into the house. Both Daphne and I would go at the top of our voices "Guess who's back?" and we would search around for our little baby girl. Sometimes she would be with her grandma smiling at us or she would be no where to be found only to later return with smiling grandparents lugging goods from Malaysia. (Yes, my daughter has more travel chops on her passport than me)

We would have our dinner and I would play with her, carry her, cuddle her and often, volunteer to carry her from her car seat back home.

In the morning is somewhat different.

I often drag myself out of bed and after freshening up, I'll come out to our dining table for breakfast but not before seeing Maegan wide awake and playing. She would smile and get all excited. It's nice waking up to see your daughter smiling at the sight of you,.

I'll would carry her for a while, followed by my breakfast and papers. Morning routine. My mind would be filled with the meetings I have before me and getting ready for work.

A peg on her check and desperately trying to get her learn how to wave goodbye, I'm off to work.

Just like that.

So, perhaps there is a little difference between me in the morning and at night. Perhaps I am a night Dad.

I love her all the same but mornings are just a different time for me. I wonder if she notices the difference. I guess I'm just not a morning person. But then again, my friends from Kiwiland will tell you that it's nothing new.

They don't call me Possum* for nothing do they? :o)

*Possums are a beaver like animal that comes alive at night but sleeps in in the morning. A protected species in Australia but a pest in New Zealand.
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers