Monday, August 20, 2007

How can someone so little bring so much joy

It's amazing I tell you.

I was looking thru the shelf of Times Bookstore's bestsellers and found that almost every book on that shelf have to do with how one can make millions of dollars. Either that or how you can find success or happiness.

Walking further into the bookshop, you find aisles and aisles of self-help books on finding purposes in life and the secret to joy and happiness. There is even a book on "The Secret behind the Secret." The fact is, everyone wants to be happy. Almost everything about self-help is about finding inner peace or success which ultimately is, finding joy.

I found out recently that joy comes in small packages.

They come bundled with unlimited moments of funny moments that makes you crack up and laugh. If only they came with an user manual that tells you how to create each moment and replay them.

Many moments are gone in an instant but before you know it, another one comes along.

That's little miss Maegan for you. For me, she's the joy in my life. (if you are wondering why not my wife, it's because it's the obvious that she IS the joy of my life :o) phew!)


Every day without fail, she would have a funny smile, a funny action, a funny sound or expression that makes you smile with joy. No need for juggling of balls or red nose clowns, little miss Maegan just have the habit of making people laugh.

Walking into the lift in church, she would look up at all the adults and see a stranger staring down at her. Without any reservation, she smiles with her sweetest smile and waves hi. The stranger smiles, laughs and waves back.

Yet in another lift, this time while we were shopping, Maegan in my arms started to recite the words she knew, answering each of our questions. "Can you say Daddy?" And her reply ... "da da di" "Can you say mummy?" "Ma MA!" "Can you say Auntie Nina??" "Na Na!" ... "Maegan, can you say Gong Gong?" ... a pause ... "MA MA!"

All of us laughed in the lift. Including 4 strangers witnessing all the happenings. As we were leaving the lift, the elder stranger said "Ma Ma!" and everyone started laughing again. Including little miss Maegan waving goodbye.

I can really go on and recall all the funny episodes we have like her special face when you ask her "Maegan, show daddy your funny face?" and grins with intensity she does.

Much more than the millions of dollars people keep wanting to get, perhaps joy is found in the littlest of things, or in my case, family.

I'm not saying that having millions of dollars is not good. I wouldn't mind having a couple myself which no doubt will bring me much joy. But if you were to ask me to choose between my daughter or a million dollars, I have no doubt that Maegan brings me more joy in the last 15 months than a million dollar would ever bring in my lifetime.

It is truly amazing. How can someone so little brings so much joy.

The fact is, they do. :o)
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers